Thursday, February 19, 2009

Malone & Lepper: Intrinsic motivation leads to sustainable learning

Malone and Lepper's point is to make learning intrinsically motivated. Using good video games can arouse and sustain students' interest through challenge, curiosity, control, and fantasy.

A game that I have played that exhibits these four individual intrinsic motivational elements is Nintendo Wii. My supervisor took me to her house. They have Nintendo Wii on playing tennis, bowling, baseball, etc. Her children taught me how to play tennis using this technology. I have not played tennis for real. I do not have any idea at all. However, I was challenged by her daughter. I was also curious on how to play the game. When I tried, I was sweating! My virtual opponent was good! I needed to put effort, force, and timing in order to bounce the ball properly. It was like having in control of the ball. Obviously, the first game was a disaster. As I kept on playing, I improved! Even it was just a fantasy, I felt great! When I went to the dorm, I watched the movie Wimbledon through hulu.com. At this moment, I cannot stop thinking of trying it in real life. Unfortunately, it is still snowing here. I will try it when I get home to my country.

A traditional learning experience that also reflects these elements is being part of the CAT (Citizen's Army Training) when I was in high school. Military training was a requirement of the Philippines' educational system. This time, it is already optional since there are other options like Civic Welfare Training Service (CWTS) and Literacy Training Service (LTS) which are community service programs. During the officers' training, I was challenged to live like a soldier. I lived according to their rules. I was also curious if I could stand the hard training. I was assigned and in control of my platoon. It was hard! Mistake of one is mistake of all. Even it was just like a fantasy, I survived, and I felt that I was a soldier.

1 comment:

  1. I played tennis on Wii too, awesome game. Actually, some assistant living homes are using games on Wii to motivate and help senior citizens exercise.

    ReplyDelete