Thursday, February 12, 2009

Second Gameplay: I made it through the apprentice level :-) Yehey!

For this week, I finally passed the apprentice level! I was so happy! After four hours of labor and hardship, I made it through. I was able to attract 400 people and beautify my amusement park. Beforehand, I received two "Most Disappointing Park" awards. I was also worried because I did not gain any profit for months. At this time, I needed some help from Matt. He advised me to add rides to attract more visitors. Also, I should increase the price of the rides to earn some money. With this, I got the tidiest park and safest park awards, and passed the test!

With my two weeks of playing the video game, I start to like it. Indeed, there are things that I can learn from video games. It tests my creativity, managing, budgeting and aesthetic skills. Kurt Squire mentioned from his article "From Content to Context: Videogames as Designed Experience" that games are overlooked by educators. Just like me, I have my own biases that students do not study anymore and spend their allowance in the Internet Cafe (in my country, internet cafes are famous pastime because majority do not have access to computers). But now, just like James Paul Gee said why not use these games to make students get crazy too to academics (though for sure I will have a difficult time to convince the "old school" colleagues of this - this is a challenge!). Squirt also said that "Tycoon" (just like my video game) could be an effective learning tool. In fact, Matt and I agreed that this game is good for business people. It is learning by doing. It somehow prepares students to the real world that there are many things to consider to put up a business - management, human resource, maintenance, budgeting, design, and the like.

From my chosen article "Why Are Video Games Good for Learning?" by James Paul Gee, it reaffirms my query on why play video games. There are video games that are rooted through the learning principles which educators should consider, too. Roller Coaster Tycoon is an example of "action-and-goal-directed preparations for, and simulations of embodied experience." This game is just like in real life. If I were to put up a business, what things should I consider? Then I will start imagining. Through this game, I can have my blueprint on what should I do through manipulating the game. Thus, I should get myself ready for the next level!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your progress. Nice connections between your gameplay and your readings.

    ReplyDelete