Thursday, February 19, 2009

Gee's Chapter 3: Tripartite Identity Model

Gee's tripartite identity model made me reflect of my profession as a teacher. There are times that I am already out of patience with my students. I forget that they are not me. They have limitations that I have to accept. The challenge is how to compromise or interact with them. It's like bridging the gap between two worlds like Gee and "Bead Bead" that there are times in our lives that we need to live with some limitations.

This reminds me of a mini-Broadway contest during the English month three years ago. Using the tripartite identity model, let's say that the students are the virtual character and me as the real-person. I suggested to the class some ideas, concepts, and choreography on how I wanted the class to present their piece. During the rehearsals, I kept on insisting to have live singers for Miss Saigon. This would be a plus factor; I wanted them to win. I pushed them too hard. However, the reality was that not everyone could sing. I have to live with their limitations that the class were not the actors that I wanted them to be. At the end, we decided to do lip sing. Then, we doubled our effort in the acting part as if it were a live singing. It was not that bad, though. The experience was like I would like to create a masterpiece that was beyond my reach. My former students (which served as my virtual characters of my desire as a good director) and me (the real-person) have come up to this point of projective identity that even there were limitations, there still something that could be done. It's like playing a game. I was struck with that answer of one of my classmates in playing Crazy Machines that there are many solutions in a problem. If one is into, eventually, one will discover new ways and values in dealing with everyday life.

Practice Principle - In studying English as second language, they could practice their vocabulary using these games that I just discovered: Taboo, Catch Phrase and Mad Gab Game. At home, they could play Text Twist, Kangaroo, Bookworm and the like. Not to forget, the classic game Scrabble that they could play with their family and friends.

Amplification of Input Principle - In learning English songs, students can enhance their listening, pronunciation/speaking, reading and writing skills. "Darfur is Dying" is also a very example on this principle. One does not only play but can also look at the hard realities that some of the countries are experiencing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment