Thursday, February 26, 2009

Game Play 4: Finally, Tycoon!

After extending my time of playing my RCT 3, I finally passed the Entrepreneur level. Awesome! Here are some features that I also added.



My game RCT 3 is a rewarding experience for me. At first, I found it so difficult especially in familiarizing the right icons in adding rides, stalls, facilities, etc. Also, I have to do multi-tasking in checking the finances, adding staff, making advertisements, and all. It was really challenging! However, after playing every week, there is this feeling of intense - just do it! Eventually, it drives me to do more and to take care of my amusement park. "Flow" is very much present to this game. Playing video games are not bad at all (as I perceived it before). As a first timer "addict", I am proud of what I achieved and created. This is something new. I am not a businessman; however, I am able to run my own through RCT 3.



This holds true with my student selected selection Video Games, Mind and Learning by James Paul Gee. We imagine and this technology externalizes what is perceived in our minds. In the article it mentions that "Video games usually involve a visual and auditory world in which the player manipulates a virtual character. The player can make a new landscape, a new set of buildings, or new characters." This is indeed true in RTC 3. This technology offers the opportunity to make, create and realize one's goals and desires. One might be frustrated, but there are always challenges in achieving such goals (just like in real life). This is where the spice comes in... how to face them!

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if the game is helping you build the "capacity" to be a business person...sounds like you are performing a lot of the tasks...virtually, but performing them nonetheless. It seems clear that you have found the capacity to play video games!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Prof.! A pat to my shoulder... yehey! It is indeed true that it's not yet too late to learn even in my age :-).

    ReplyDelete