Saturday, March 7, 2009

Final Project Proposals

Proposal # 1: PowerPoint Games

PowerPoint is often used as a visual aid in my country particularly in my school. I never knew that there are PowerPoint games. With this, I would like to maximize the use of this technology in language learning or other applicable areas that I could also recommend to my colleagues. I came across with the homemade PPT (PowerPoint) games of Lloyd Rieber at University of Georgia that my professor recommended to me. I also saw the names of Gretchen Thomas and Michael Barbour. My target audience are high school students (ages 12-16). I believe that in providing them with these games it can gauge their interests and enhance their classroom learning.

With the homemade PPT games that he/they created, I can freely download, adapt or modify them according to the needs of my students. I am still on the process of looking for a perfect PPT game for language learning. If there is a chance for me to modify it, I will gladly make it. So that when I get home, I can bring this new experience, share it to my colleagues, and help the high school community with its aim to an Instructional Technology university.


Proposal # 2: Bizzy´s Spelling Bee


I consider this game because of the texting phenomenon in my country. We are not fond of calling through our cell phones because it is expensive (unless it is an emergency). Texting only costs more or less 5 cents (PHP 1.00). Usually, people are saving the number of characters since there are only allowed around 160 per text. Instead of completing the English spelling, they will have shortcuts. For instance, the message is "See you," they will write it in "C u". I observe this in their write-ups. I would like to address the issue that it is okay to save but they should also learn when to use it appropriately. In taking tests and essays, they do not need to save space.

For my proposal numbers 2 and 3, this is the website http://bizzys-spelling-bee.10001downloads.com/.


Proposal # 3: PictoWords

PictoWords is one of the educational games featured in 10001downloads.com. It is a game that tests your vocabulary by quickly combining pictures and letters to create words. It says that "Each level offers fun pictures which you must blend with letters to fill out the word list." It sounds challenging especially for non-native speakers.

I would like my students to increase their vocabulary through word associations. Words are used according to their context. For instance, "bank" could mean a place where people could deposit their money. It could also mean a river bank. Another example is "well" which has a number of possible meanings -

The well is dry.
The actors performed well in Wicked.
Well, the taste is awful.
Get well soon.

I got some sample ideas on how to use "well" in this website http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A538058.

I can make lesson plans that integrate both the spelling bee and picture words to enhance their spelling and vocabulary.

2 comments:

  1. All three are good ideas. I particularly like the PPT games idea because it will give you experience developing on a platform that many people have some access to. Rieber's work is great....you'd be amazed at some of the really nice games people are able to create! Best of all, because of the fairly ubiquitous nature of ppt (at least in the US), this puts the power of game development in the hands of students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! Thank you, Professor. I'm so excited to make one :-).

    ReplyDelete