Saturday, March 21, 2009

Aldrich: Face The Challenge

In providing games and simulations, we are faced with the challenges that we need to ponder upon. As Aldrich mentioned, some of these things are to see the content, evaluate, and consider the price or cost of the game and/or simulation.

Identifying Appropriate Subject-Matter Experts and Designers

As an educator, it is important to consider the content of the game and simulation before it is used in the classroom learning. However, there are times that the content does not totally fit with the kind of learners we have. Thus, we are faced on how to identify appropriate subject-matter experts and designers. For instance, the use of words in the games and simulations are of different context with the situation in my home country. Usually, we do not give directions by saying north of this street, proceed south, so on and so forth. This is what I experienced in Darfur is Dying and The Hobbit. To address this issue, I will present not only the words but accompany it with visuals so that students would understand the meaning and how or when it is used. Before we proceed, an example of a map with east, west, north, and south directions will be given to the class.

Evaluation

As Aldrich said, it is hard to evaluate simulation-based content because one cannot just simply skim simulation. It requires time. In my case, I had my own reservations of playing video games. However, after reading Gee's book and some articles and experiencing it myself, I realized that video games can stimulate learning because I am actively engaged with this technology. As a teacher, I should experience and evaluate it first before I will introduce it to my students.

Price

One of the things that I also find very challenging in my institution is purchasing this technology with considerable price. With the limited budget and resources, one has to be creative and resourceful. With this, I will maximize online free games and simulations available in the web. I am also hoping to make a PowerPoint game in my final project as an alternative but at the same time a technology that is very much useful to teachers and students.

No comments:

Post a Comment