Saturday, January 31, 2009

Game History: A glimpse of the past


When I read the article, I remember the games that I usually played before – Pacman and Super Mario Brothers. I never took time to know its origin not until I read this chapter on history of video games. I never knew about these SEGA, Atari, Namco, Donkey Kong, Zaxxon, Galaxian, etc. However, I heard about Game Boy and Playstation. It is also possible that some of these games reached my country but have not known. I can also remember that I got crazy with Brick Game. I never expected to discover this much. I’m sure there is still more!


At first, video games served as training ground for the military and as a source of entertainment for students, faculty, researchers, academic and government institutions as a relief from traditional duties. Eventually, this came not only to a few but to the public as well. Thanks to the Internet – World Wide Web!


Arcade phenomenon – people got crazy. Even today, most of the parents' concern in my school is that their sons go to Internet café instead of going to class. They spend their allowance on playing computer or video games instead of their school project. I believe that researchers and educators reflected if these students could be addicted to academics, too. Students need something to see, hear, touch, and manipulate. Hence, this led to make games and simulations as tools for learning. With this, it is very important that companies should critically design their own product. For educational purposes, it would be a great help if they consult researchers, teachers, administrators, and other experts in order to meet the instructional needs.


Nowadays, games cannot only be experienced at home and arcades. It becomes handy like the portable Sony’s PSP. In 10 years time, I can imagine a virtual environment 3-D game, just like what I see in futuristic movies like Matrix. The direction of games for learning is more complex and innovative. I hope to reach that age.






No comments:

Post a Comment